Budget & Tax
| January 1, 2016
Top 10 State Budget Recommendations
Here are 10 ways Oklahoma can deliver better service at a better price:
- Enact state employee health insurance reform ($95 million in annual savings).
- Reform Medicaid to make it work better for patients, improve health outcomes, and save taxpayer dollars ($100 million in annual savings).
- Eliminate taxpayer funds for operation of non-core agenices such as the Oklahoma Horse Racing Commission, the Oklahoma Insurance Department, the Native American Cultural and Educational Authority, OETA, and more ($20 million in annual savings).
- End earmarks including rodeos, roping contests, a local fair, a local aquarium, local festivals, and more ($8 million in annual savings).
- Sell the Grand River Dam Authority ($500 million).
- Enact performance evaluation reform and hiring reform (more than $5 million in annual savings after the first year, and $41 million in annual savings after the third year).
- Perform telecommunication efficiency audits ($3 million in annual savings).
- Eliminate duplicative conservation district offices ($868,000 in annual savings).
- Eliminate state funding for attempts at space travel (more than $394,000 in annual savings).
- Elimate funding for memberships in the NGA, NCSL, and other organizations, and funding for non-critical travel, sporting events, sponsorships, etc. ($39.8 million in annual savings).