Staff | May 9, 2023
Submit a letter to the editor of your local newspaper
Why write a "letter to the editor”
- Elected officials (and their staff) pay attention to the newspapers.
- Newspaper readers are people who vote and have influence.
- The other side is already there—you need to be heard, too.
How to write a “letter to the editor”
- Keep it short, often 250 words or less.
- Connect it with current events (usually in the first sentence).
- Be persuasive—aim to convince people who don’t already agree.
Where to submit a letter
If your paper is not on this list and publishes letters to the editor, look on the opinion page or call their office to find out how to submit a letter. Thank you!